Friday, December 24, 2010

click clacking of keys and the swish of giftcards

It’s been a minute. Well actually, it’s been forever. I have completely neglected my need to vent to the world through blogspot.com and I have decided to use the excuse that I’ve been let’s just say “busy”.

I came home on the tenth of this month and three days later started work at the mall management office selling gift-cards. Yes, the job is as exciting as it sounds. When people ask I just tell them I work in a fancy office to make it sound a little more official and important. Nevertheless, I sit in the office chair for literally eight hours a day and I have been doing so for the past ten days. And while many people can argue that I do nothing all day but sit on my bum, it does get a little tiring to be cooped up in an office, exchanging gift-cards and money between dirty stranger hands, thinking about all the other things I could be doing with my time. This is pretty much what I stare at for the entire time I'm at work, but hey who can complain?


I even got so bored I managed to sneak a picture in of myself. I think my facial expression perfectly describes how I was feeling that day. Maybe a little bit of an attitude? Happiness for the holidays? Resentment towards the fact I had been there since eight that morning? Who knows.


Between juggling spending time with friends whom I won’t see for awhile, spending time with my family, working, and oh yeah, eating and sleeping as well, it has been a rough past couple of days.

The good news that comes out of this job though is that I have been reading. While the “Tipping Point”, isn’t the most exciting book I have ever read, it keeps me busy and has slowly but surely been enlightening me on the power of communication. I have also been able to catch up on my newspaper reading; I like to read them no matter how old the issue is so I can critique other writings including my own.


Another plus side would definitely have to be having access to the Internet for the full eight hours that I am here. While I can’t necessarily check my Facebook and Twitter I have been able to do a little online shopping which is funnily ironic seeing how I am in a mall, but Urban Outfitters is nowhere near here so I guess that’s a good excuse to use. I even got a really cute shirt there on line which is anticipating my arrival back to school!


Last but definitely not least, is the unlimited access to the food court! That’s probably the last place I should be only because the food there isn’t so healthy but hey, you only live once right? And besides who could resist this……?


While this hasn’t been the most exciting job for me, I have enjoyed the little bit of time I’ve spent here. The women I work with are DOLLS and I absolutely adore them, and besides I’ve made some great connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment